So last week l had my first attempt at making honeycomb from scratch...the real deal...and OMG it is AMAZING and so so SIMPLE to make!! A few staple pantry items and voilà you have a very versatile treat worth snacking on or giving as little pressies.
I had a lot of fun experimenting with it and created various treats such as honeycomb chocolate spoons, honeycomb chocolate discs and just some good ol' honeycomb in a jar!!! I did want to get around to making some honeycomb cupcakes but l sorta ran out of honeycomb!! LOL!
The biggest crowd pleaser was probably my honeycomb chocolate discs which were warmly welcomed with lots of oooohhhs and aaahhhhss. The extra bonus is that they are super easy to make and just by chopping up some honeycomb and following the Giant Freckle Tutorial from last week you will have a delicious treat to share with your loved ones...if you can resist keeping them all for yourself!
Homemade Honeycomb RecipeAdapted from Donna Hay "no time to cook"
1 cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup of honey
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Line a 20cm square dish with baking paper ( I buttered mine as directed and yep it stuck! so go with paper!)
- Melt butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar starts to dissolve
- Without stirring bring honeycomb mixture to the boil and continue to boil until mixture turns a light golden colour (approx 2 mins, it will smell like honey joys!!)
- Remove from heat and add bicarbonate soda and mix through quickly with a spatula (do not over mix or it will just become flat and a sticky mess)
- Pour the foamy mixture into the prepared dish and let cool. Once cool remove baking paper from dish and chop the honeycomb into pieces
I hope you have enjoyed this blog post and will give this recipe a go as it really is so easy! Just like homemade marshmallows the store bought variety really do pale in comparison! Let me know if you think homemade is better?? Next time l am going to try maple syrup honeycomb!
Have a great week Sweeties and don't forget to Bake, Create & Celebrate!